Posted on April 21, 2017 by thefrugalcrafter
Edit: Here is the final painting from today’s live stream:
Hi friends! Today at 12:30pm eastern time we are going to have fun exploring water-coloring on YUPO paper!
Recently Yupo Paper has been popular with alcohol ink artists (I’ll be posting a tutorial on that soon!) but I always enjoyed it for watercolor. I first tried out the paper about 15 years ago and liked it so much I bought a pack of huge sheets that I am still working through today! I had a few requests to demonstrate it so I figured that would be fun to do today. In the photo above you can see a quick teacup painted on regular cotton watercolor paper (top) and YUPO below and you can see the difference the papers make. If you have ever wanted to loosen up more in your work I recommend giving YUPO a try! Here is the reference photo for today’s painting.
You can watch the live stream or the replay in the player below but if you want to chat live with other painters or ask me questions be sure to watch on the YouTube watch page.
Supplies! I scouted out this mornings steals on Amazon and will share links and prices below. By purchasing via my special discount links you get awesome deals and you help support my free live tutorials, thank you:) *As always follow along with what you have at home, having more supplies does not make you a better painter:)
- Watercolors: Here are some deals on Student & Professional grade watercolors that I personally use: Sakura Koi set of 24 (never seen the price this low!) $14.18 *They also have a good price on the 48 set!, Prima Tropicals Set of 12 in metal tin $14.16 (great mixing set!), Prima Decadent Pies set of 12 in metal tin $12.13 (Great for landscape panting) and Cotman Sketcher set of 12 $12.99 (this is what I teach with) For Professional grade paints today’s deals are: Holbein watercolors at about $2 per tube when bought in sets (vs $9 when bought individually) Mission Gold sets $38+ (They are always cheaper on amazon for some reason and I am using the 24 perfect pan set in today’s tutorial) and Daniel Smith 6 tube essentials set (A GREAT mixing set) $25 *The price on this fluctuates between $25-$45 on Amazon and retails for $60 on some sites.
- Yupo Paper: 9″x12″ pad of 10 sheets $13.55 *other sizes available too!
- Silicone tools to wipe out highlights (these nail art tools are the same as expensive art silicone tools at 1/4 the price!)
- Watercolor brushes (you want ones that do not hold a lot of water because Yupo does not absorb anything) this set of 5 Majestic brushes for $16.32 has all you need!
- You will want a fine tip pen for today’s project, I am using a ultrafine sharpie because I know it will dry. I will use this to draw my design directly on Yupo paper.
- *Yupo paper is also great with alcohol inks and markers, tutorial on that coming soon!
- Pattern to print and trace
Tips & Tricks for Yupo!
- Yupo is made of plastic so it does not absorb the paint and water so use little water or it will take a long time to dry.
- If you don’t like your painting you can rinse away watercolor, although some colors might stain.
- Yupo will not warp so you can use the cheaper lightweight Yupo with no problem whatsoever.
- Thick watercolor application may remain stick when dry especially if you are using a paint containing honey. Make sure to frame your masterpiece with a matte and glass (not Plexiglas because it can flex and stick to the paint) if you want to keep it for posterity.
- Go with the flow! Yupo is a very fluid and slick surface to paint on, let it do its thing and don’t try to control it too much.
- Avoid using a heat tool or blow dryer on Yupo, the heat tool can warp the paper and the blow drier will just push your paint and water around. Patience grasshopper.
I hope you check out this fun project. I think Yupo would make a great paper for kids too, you can simply wash it off and reuse as much as you want for little kids watercolors and finger-paintings. There are just a lot of uses for this wonderful “paper” and I hope you get your hands on some to try! Have you or would you try Yupo? let me know in the comments and til next time happy crafting!
LIVE: Tea-time With Flowers & Lemons Watercolor Tutorial on YUPO Paper!
Filed under: Painting, Uncategorized | Tagged: cheap watercolor supplies, free watercolor class, how to painton yupo, watercolor, watercolor class, watercolor yupo tutorial, yupo, yupo paper review, yupo watercolor class | 6 Comments »
Posted on April 14, 2017 by thefrugalcrafter
Edit: Here is the finishes painting from today’s live stream, have a great weekend and happy Easter!
Hi friends, today at 12:30pm ET on YouTube we will learn how to paint white flowers in watercolor! Here is a quick color study I did this morning, but don’t worry, our painting during the live stream should be more refined. 😀
I like to play with color in my journal before I attempt a live stream to warm up, I think we will have a lot of fun with this. You can watch the live stream or reply in the player below but if you want to chat with us be sure to watch on the YouTube watch page at 12:30pm Eastern time today!
Sponsored by Jerry’s Artarama! Use coupon code: frugal20FS49 for 20% off $49 + Free Shipping (Excludes: Sale, Super Sale, Egift Cards, Buy It Try It’s and Vendor restricted items. Look for the green coupon eligible icon on the product listing!)
Sorry to keep it short and sweet but I am running behind today! Hope to catch you live in a few minutes on YouTube, happy crafting!
Filed under: Painting, Uncategorized | Tagged: easter ily, free watercolor class, how to paint white flowers, jerrys artarama coupon, painting tutorial, rembrant, watercolor | 6 Comments »
Posted on April 7, 2017 by thefrugalcrafter
Hi friends! Please join me for a fun painting tutorial today at 12:30pm Eastern Time on YouTube!12:30pm Eastern Time on YouTube! We will be painting this. Here is a traceable pattern.
Here is the reference photo:
You can watch the live stream or the replay in the player below but if you want to chat live with fellow painters or ask me questions while we paint be sure to watch on the YouTube watch page.
Supplies (Amazon Affiliate Links Used)
- Mission Gold Watercolors: I am using the Perfect Pan set of 24 because the palette is compact and fits on-screen, but this set of 36 is a better deal *BTW I just ordered this set and will review it soon! I also have and recommend the 24 pure pigment set before, I think it is the best value because you have all single pigment tubes (larger tubes than in the 36 set) and you can mix all of the colors in the 36 set from this set I believe. It is more expensive because you are getting more paint and it is a bit heavy on the red/pinks so it is better for flower/still life painters as opposed to landscape artists. You really can’t go wrong with any Mission Gold paints but a little goes a long way so just pick the set that meets your needs (you don’t need them all LOL!)
- 140# Arches Watercolor paper CP I am working 9″x12″ size and I tear my paper down from large sheets. I just saw this pack of 10 22″x30″ sheets on Amazon for $27.99 and I have never seen this paper at low! *I buy full sheet watercolor paper, tear down a couple of sheets at a time and store the paper in the shipping box under my bed FYI:)
- Brushes: For beginners I recommend Royal Majestic, this 5 peice set is a good assortment and cover most anything you want to paint. The bristles have more snap and hold less water which makes working with student grade paints easier as well, they are an excellent value! If you are more advanced I recommend the Mimik Synthetic Squirrel Watercolor Brushes as they hold a TON of water and paint and are a great deal!
- White gel pen (Uniball Signo)
It is a big sale weekend at Craftsy with hundreds of classes for Under $20!
And use this special link to save 50% on my class Mix it up Mixed Media Step by Step!
If you have never tried a Craftsy class before you really should treat yourself during this sale. The beautifully filmed high-definition video, printable reference materials and easy to navigate classes make them a must try and you get lifetime access to all of your classes so you can return to the lessons again and again if you like. I am honored to be a craftsy instructor and I encourage anyone to check out what they have to offer across all genres of art, crafts and cooking! I hope you can make today’s free live stream and til then happy crafting!
Filed under: Painting, Uncategorized | Tagged: arches, demo, free watercolor class, how to paint cake, live watercolor tutorial, mission gold watercolors, painting tutorial, watercolor, watercolor brushes | 3 Comments »
Posted on March 16, 2017 by thefrugalcrafter
Hi friends! Thank you for voting yesterday to help me decide on this weeks live tutorial! You picked these sweet bunnies as our subject.
The totals were really close though so I plan to create recorded tutorials of the other sweet animals as well, how could I not? You can watch the live tutorial (or the replay) in the player below but if you want to chat with us live and ask questions as we go be sure to watch on the YouTube watch page at 12:30pm ET today.
Supplies available from our sponsor Jerry’s Artarama
I hope to see you at 12:30pm on YouTube for this fun paint along! Til then Happy Crafting!
Filed under: Painting, Uncategorized | Tagged: bunnies, easter, free watercolor class, Painting, spring, tutorial, watercolor | 8 Comments »
Posted on March 3, 2017 by thefrugalcrafter
Edit: Here is the finished painting from Today’s live stream. Have a great weekend!
Hi folks! Very soon we will be painting live on YouTube! Here is a color study I did to prepare.
You can catch the live stream or the replay in the video player below but if you want to chat live please watch on the YouTube watch page.
Supplies can be found at sponsor Jerry’s Artarama!
9″x12″ Arches watercolor paper Cold Pressed or Rough (Block on sale for $24.28 reg. price $54!)
Watercolor paint: Turner *colors: Turquoise, Ultramarine, Pthalo Blue, Quin Rose (or any cool red) Burnt sienna, Yellow Ochre
Other: Pencil, paper towel, 2 waterbuckets, tape and a board if you are not using a block of paper
Reference photo by Sandie Bell on Paint my Photo
I hope you can paint with me live at 12:30pm ET today! Til then happy crafting!
Filed under: Painting, Uncategorized | Tagged: free watercolor class, landscape, live, real time, watercolor, watercolor landscape tutorial | 2 Comments »
Posted on February 17, 2017 by thefrugalcrafter
Hi friends! What a week! Between snow storms (and snow days) it was hard to get my bearings but I was so happy it was Friday so I could do a live painting show. I was really looking forward to it since the last two Fridays I was away. I didn’t have time to blog about the live broadcast this morning which was probably just as well because I had to restart the show due to a computer glitch. I’ts one of those days LOL! Here is what we painted:
Here is a replay of the unglitchy show. Big thanks to everyone who found me live today because I certainly did not make it easy.
Supplies can be fund at our sponsor Jerry’s Artarama: http://www.jerrysartarama.com/
Turner watercolors *the 18 set I am using is on sale for $19.99! Colors: Perm Scarlet, New Gamboge, Turq Blue, Ultramarine, Burnt Sienna, Yellow Ocher
The Langton Prestige Watercolor Paper
pattern to trace
In hindsight I think I liked the crab better without the background so feel free to leave it out if you wish. I am always happy to take one for the team:) Have a great weekend and til next time happy crafting!
Filed under: Painting, Uncategorized | Tagged: free watercolor class, how to paint a crab, live painting, live stream, paint party, tutorial, watercolor | 10 Comments »
Posted on January 20, 2017 by thefrugalcrafter
Hi Friends! Today at 12:30pm Eastern Time on YouTube we are going to draw and paint a lovely (and maybe a bit scary for all you Doctor WHO fans out there) weeping angel statue. There is no pattern because we will sketch it together! Yay!
You can watch the live show or the replay in the player below but if you want to chat and ask me questions as we paint be sure to watch on the YouTube watch page at 12:30pm ET and if you are on a tablet make sure to not have it in full screen mode (or turn your device to portrait mode) so you can see the chat.
Supplies are available from our sponsor Jerry’s Artarama! *They are currently having a BOGO on many of my favorite brushes including the Mimik synthetic Squirrel brushes! Check it out!
Watercolors: I am using M Graham as many people have been asking about them lately:
140# CP (cold pressed) Watercolor Paper
Brushes: Mimik Synthetic Squirrel (I recommend the value pack set of 8)
Also, you will want a pencil, soft white eraser (we are sketching!) 2 water buckets and paper towels.
ALSO the 20% off discount for Lifebook 2017 has been extended through the end of January! Use coupon code: FIREWORKS2017 to save 20% off a year of classes an inspiration, find out more here. I just finished up filming my first class for the year long workshop, it will air in March, here is a picture of the finished page.
There are 23 other wonderful mixed media artists sharing their secrets too so I hope you have a look at what Lifebook 2017 has to offer and I thank you for your support. 🙂
Get your supplies ready and we will see you at 12:30 ET for some painting fun! Til then Happy Crafting!
Filed under: mixed media, Painting, Uncategorized | Tagged: Art, doctor who fan art, fan art, free watercolor class, how to paint a statue, lifebook coupon code, live stream, Painting, portrait, watercolor, watercolor tutorial, weeping angel art | 14 Comments »