Today I am reviewing the newish set of 24 Gucai Classical Artist Tube watercolor paints. There is a sale on this product from June 6-12, 2022. These paints are traditional Chinese style paint, making them suitable for painting on rice paper and other unsized or softly sized paper. The opaque quality of some colors allows them to show up on black paper. These paints are slow-moving and resist blooms. the finish is matte but not chalky even in glazes. Check them out in today’s review.
- Nice color selection (although lacking a cool yellow)
- Easy to paint with
- Rewets nicely Dried down well in a palette (subtle cracking but did not fall out, results might differ in an arid climate)
- Beautiful packaging
- All info is written in Chinese so I could not read if there were color names or pigment/lightfast info on the tubes.
- No open stock
- Slight chemical order when freshly poured out from the tube.
- Slight binder separation on a couple of colors
You can find the Gucai tube paints here, also the large pan metallic set is back in stock with a watercolor sketchbook if you missed out on them earlier. Both of these currently have a 15% off coupon so be sure to click on that box if you are purchasing to save more. I hope you enjoyed this review and til next time happy crafting!