Hi friends! As I shuffle through my belongings at the start of the year and put things where they should be I thought it would be fun to compare the different types of the same product and see what’s the best value for money given the experience I have had with them. I have often taken watercolor crayons and watercolor oil pastels to workshops and classes and I have amassed a variety over the years. I am a sucker for water soluble media and I love trying the different products that come out. I also love finding cheap versions of pricey supplies that seem identical and sharing the info with you
Most of the product in the video are still available and I have added affiliate links if possible. I will make note of my faves as well below!
- My absolute favorite is Caran Dache Neocolor 2 watercolor crayons. They are like gouache in a stick form and they have stood the test of time as my favorite. These are opaque and fairly firm but not as hard as a watercolor pencil.
- *** A runner up that is cheaper but almost as good is the LYRA watercolor crayon. I think they are 90% as good as Caran Dache and about $1 per crayon. (Brief aside: Guess what I came across today? My LYRA crayons! I was so happy to find them. They were hiding behind my spray inks with my Dina Wakely scribble sticks LOL! See why it’s important to pull everything out!)
- A nice transparent crayon is the American Journey Watercolor sticks.
The following products are softer, like lipstick, and are more like oil pastels than crayons.
- Portfolio oil pastels from Crayola (set of 24 is under $10)
- Mungyo Gallery Oil pastels Regular colors or pearl colors
- Prima set of 12 (same as mungyo but more expensive) rustic colors or basics colors *I’d go with Mungyo as you get 2x the product for your money
The following products come in plastic casings which is a negative if you don’t want plastic waste but can be a positive if you like to store or transport all of your stuff loose in a bin or bag.
- Since I really can’t find a big difference in the quality of these products I’d suggest the cheapest which are the 36 sets of Doodlehog NoYo and US Art Supply Super Crayons
- Distress Crayons
- *Cheap Gelatos AKA Gel Sticks
- Jane Davenport Colorsticks
- Marabou Art Crayons *They claim to be lightfast, pigment info here
I hope you found this helpful. There are so many similar products out there nowadays and I hope this series of comparing different brands is helpful. Together we will explore and see what’s good! Til next time happy crafting!