This post contains affiliate links.
Hi friends! I like to find a bargain. And by bargain I mean it’s quality is higher than what you paid for and it performs better than you would expect. That is just what I found with this sweet little box of gouache. Gouache is simply an opaque watercolor. You can use it like acrylics or oils and rewet it to blend. It’s pretty awesome stuff! A couple of viewers asked me if I would review this kit and I have to say I was tempted from the word go. I loved the novelty of the “jelly cup” design of the gouache container and the fact that it had a high wall palette so the colors would not become mixed if the wet paints were tipped or if I dried out the paints and they crumbled they would not get mixed up. There was also a mixing tray that fit inside the lid so there was nothing other than brushes and water you needed separately.
I have purchased products from the Amazon seller Lightwish in the past and they offered to send me this paint set for review. They also sent a set of brushes. They were all hog bristle except for one. I found out later from a viewer that in China and Korea it is customary for people to use the hog bristle brushes with gouache as they paint with them like oils (especially school children) ad this “jelly cup” type of paint is also the norm. Apparently, you can buy refills of these cups in China. They are 30ml so it will take a while to use them up but that is good to know. Since I have more tubes of paint than a place to put them I reckon I will just refill from my tubes if and when I deplete a color.
Miya Himi Gouache Review
- Low price
- 18 colors *I recommend letting them dry out a bit prior to painting.
- Highly pigmented
- Colors mix cleanly, you can work with a limited palette and not create mud.
- Comes in a great reusable sturdy leak-proof palette (I’ve paid more than $20 for palettes that are not as nice)
- No lightfast information/student quality
- the palette does not come in white or grey which would make more sense for mixing. That said I had no difficulty mixing on this palette as the colors are opaque but if it bothers you to mix on a colored palette you may wish to have a white plate handy or skip this set.
Bottom line, the Myia Himi gouache is a great quality paint for the price. The palette is wonderful and I plan to reuse it and refill it with my own tube gouache as I use up the colors. I’d pass on the sets that come with the brushes as they are not great for gouache on paper effects but you can’t go wrong with the paint. I am not allowed to list prices for Amazon products in my blog posts anymore (crazy huh?) but If you see these for under $25 it is a good deal. I hope you found this useful and til next time happy crafting!