Hi friends! The thing I love about mixed media art is that anything goes! I have been saving paint tubes as I used them up and ruined brushes because I thought they would make a cool art project some day. This basket of junk survived a studio purge and I have to admit I felt pretty silly holding on to this trash a few times but not any longer.
I used these spent supplies on this 12″x12″ mixed media project. I heard the term “reverse canvas” in a crafting group on facebook about a month ago and I had no idea what they were talking about so I searched it and I found delightful collage and mixed media projects on the back side of canvasses with the stretcher bars used as a frame. I fell in love! It reminded me of the altered books I used to make in the 1990s. I added it to my “someday” list and on a day I needed a dose of sunshine and play I did it! Watch the video for a tutorial!
Supplies (affiliate links used)
- Dr PH Martin Acrylic ink: Small bottles or big bottles (I have) *You can Use the Bombay India ink in place of acrylic ink if that’s what you have:)
- Dr PH Marting Irridecent ink
- Jerry’s Artarama “worlds greatest” White gesso
- White Aleenes tacky Glue (cheaper at dollar tree)
- 12″x12″ canvas
- Art Stones
- Wing Mold
- Hot glue
- Objects to college *Be creating and use whatever theme that moves you like game pieces, old toys, tools, and hardware, you name it!
Will you try this? What will be the topic of your assemblage? Don’t feel like you need something special to create, you can use a shallow cardboard box and leftover house paint as a base and colorant. Please don’t let supplies be an obstacle. There is no way our projects will look the same as we are different people with different junk. That’s what makes it so cool. You are unique, embrace it! Your journey will make your art one of a kind and specail. Don’t compare it to someone else. I hope this gives you the freedom to play with your supplies today!