Hi friends! I invite you to take a break from the hustle and bustle of the holiday season and paint with me. You don’t need many supplies and you can paint this in under an hour!
The colors you will need are:
- A cool red like Alizarin Crimson, Rose Madder or Permanent rose
- A warm Yellow such as Cadmium Yellow, Gamboge, Permanent Yellow, Hansa Yellow Deep or Indian Yellow.
- A warm blue like Ultramarine Blue or Cobalt blue.
- A cool soft blue like Cerulean (look past a pastel looking blue hopefully made with PB36) or sky blue. Avoid a cerulean that looks intense and vivid. Sometimes companies call Phthalo Blue (PB15) Cerulean but it is too intense for this. If you don’t have a good cerulean than you can leave it out
Keep in mind you only need one of each of the suggestions for a total of 4 colors in all. You will also need a 1″ flat brush, 9″x12″ watercolor paper, pencil, masking tape, a rag and 2 water buckets. Enjoy the video tutorial!
Supplies (affiliate links used)
- Watercolors (Paul Rubens) colors: Cad Yellow Medium, Ultramarine Blue, Cerulean (sky blue), Crimson (Madder red)
- Paper: Arteza 100% cotton paper *save 10% with coupon FRUGAL10
- 1″ flat brush (Royal Majestic) *If you want you can have a small round brush to like a #2
- Reference photo
I hope this was a nice break in your day and let me know how you got along if you painted this! I love bringing these free watercolor tutorials to you and if you find value I them please share them with a friend using one of the handy sharing buttons below. Sharing is caring and I do appreciate it! If you enjoyed this tutorial but feel like you need more beginner instructions please check out my online course Essential Tools for Watercolor Painting here and save 20% with coupon code TRYME. I makes a great last-minute holiday gift too! thanks for stopping by and til next time happy crafting!