Hi Friends! Today’s project is a strange one using supplies I am unfamiliar with:
Watch the video to see me work through this project:
Today I am creating with the supplies in the July 2018 Smart Art Box. I had never used oil based markers other than the metallic ones you might touch up a frame with so this was a challenging supply for me to create with but I think it’s good to bust out of your comfort zone once in a while and try something new and different. If you would like to be surprised with a box of art supplies each month check out our sponsor Smart Art Box, they ship free within the US and also ship to 15 other countries *Additional shipping charges may apply to international orders.
- Pebeo oil based markers set of 5 (primaries plus black and white)
- Canvas panel
- #4 flat brush
- I also recommend you have a palette so you can mix some colors for greater variety.
Note: You will need to prime each marker to get it ready for use as the ink is sealed in the barrel until a consumer activates it. Do this ahead of time so you won’t have to stop working.
- These markers are oil based but dry fast. You can block in your line work and then fill in with paint without much worry of the outlines smearing. If you need to blend or cover a large area I recommend dispensing some paint on a palette by pressing the tip firmly to the palette until the paint flows and mixing it with gamsol to the desired color and then brushing it on the canvas.
- I recommend working with smaller shapes than I did as I had to struggle to fill them and I had to stop to mix paint lot. This would be better for smaller art I think.
- If you get frustrated let the paint dry and come back and add highlights and outline again for definition if needed. Art is supposed to be fun so if you get frustrated take a break.
I hope you enjoyed this video, sometimes art is a struggle but it is always good to try new things. Thanks for stopping by and til next time happy crafting!