Hi friends! Have you ever wanted to “loosen up” in your watercolor painting? If so, I have just the thing for you: Yupo!
Yupo is a synthetic paper that is loads of fun to play with! A lot of people are using it for alcohol ink these days but I have always loved it for watercolor (so much so that I bought a ream of it about 18 years ago and I am still using it up! Luckily it is synthetic and doesn’t go bad LOL.) Yupo is a very smooth thin white sheet of plastic that never buckles or warps while you paint on it. If you don’t like your painting you can rinse it off and try again. It easily takes watercolor pencil too which was a fun surprise I discovered today and it is awesome even with less expensive paints! I used to use this with my M Graham watercolors (which are my favorite but since they are in my big studio palette I rarely use them on camera because I can’t fit the palette in the video) but I often found the surface to be sticky due to the honey content I think but I don’t have this issue with my Prima watercolors which are really nice watercolors at a low price aimed at crafters. Are you curious? Well you can paint with me live today at 12:30pm ET and find out more! You can see the live broadcast or replay in the player below but if you want to chat live be sure to tune in on the YouTube watch page.
- Yupo paper (you can also use this paper with alcohol inks, acrylics and other media!)
- Watercolors (Prima watercolor confections: Decadent Pies) *On sale for $17 currently. I also recommend the Tropical set as a good inexpensive mixing set.
- Silicone tools (the set I have has tripled in price and take 2 months to arrive but I found a cheaper set that are single ended.
- Brushes:*I am recommending this set of Royal Majestic brushes on sale for $16 as they have good control and do not hold as much water as my Mimiks because we are working on Yupo. Yupo is a plastic paper and water does not absorb so if you use a lot of water it will take a long time to dry.
- Watercolor pencils Spectrum Noir Aquablend Naturals Set. The primary set would be good to have too. *you can get by with just the naturals set for today’s tutorial. I am seeing 12 piece sets coming out that are as are selling for as much as the 24 pencil sets linked above so I am not sure if they are changing them, if so grab the bigger sets now while you can:)
- Other: Paper towel, bucket of water
- I combined 3 photos from the Artist Photo Reference book Landscapes to make this picture. This series of books is wonderful if you can get your hands on then at a reasonable price. I was able to get the full set of books piecemeal from several used book sellers on amazon.They come and go, check back often here.
My Original artwork is available for sale!
Have you ever wanted to own one of my original watercolors? I have a selection available for the month of February on my website, first come first served.
We will be adding a new collection of paintings every month and removing the old. You guys have been asking me to offer these for years and now hubby has made it happen. Thank you for the encouragment to do this. 🙂 We’ll see you at 12:30 for some wet and wild watercolor on Yupo! Til then happy crafting!