Hi friends! Today I have a fun sewing project for you using the quilt as you go (AKA fun and done) technique. We will make a sturdy cover to hold a sketchbook, pencils and other supplies.
This is a fairly quick project to make and wonderful for beginners. Watch the step by step video to see how it’s done!
Sponsored by Annie’s Creative Quilters Fabric Club! Join today and get your first kit for $9.99 and three free gifts just for trying! Use coupon code “FRUGAL”.
- 6 fat quarters of fabric in coordinating colors
- Sewing machine threaded with coordinating color thread
- Batting or felt for inner layer
- 1/4″ sewing elastic
- Needle and thread for hand sewing
- Rotary cutter and quilting rulers/mat
Measurements to fit a 6″x9″ sketchbook (adjust to make other sizes)
1/4″ Elastic: 18″ long
Fabric: I stacked 5 of the fat quarters and cut a 3 1/2″ x 18″ strips. I cut the stack to 10 1/4″ for the body and I made the pocket from the remaining 7 3/4″ long strips.
Backing fabric 14″x18″ (this is the 6th fat quarter you didn’t cut)
1. Center the batting/felt on the backing fabric and sew down the strips using the quilt as you go method shown in the video.
2. Sew the shorter strips together to make a larger piece of fabric for the pocket.
3. Trim the excess backing fabric to an even 1″ all the way around and fold-over twice to overlap the striped side of the fabric neatly and press to make a nice looking binding. *Trim excess fabric from the corners to avoid bulk.
4. Press seams flat on the pocket fabric, fold it in half long-ways and stitch closed on the long side and one short side. Turn right-side out and tuck raw ends in.
5. Stitch down binding as neatly as you can.
6. Sew pocket on the backing side of the quilted project.
7. Mark a straight line on backing fabric where you want the elastic to run and sew on the elastic every 1″ or so. Leave a loop at the end for closing.
8. Hand sew a button on the striped side of the fabric where the elastic starts.
9. Divide the pocket if desired by sewing. Measure to make sure the sketchbook will fit.
I hope you found this project inspiring. I have several people mention that they would love to make something like this but did not have a sewing machine. While you can hand-stitch the project I think an easier method for hand sewists would be to find a fabric place mat and fold up one edge to from the pocket and hand stitch on the elastic. It would save you some seams and still be sturdy! Will you make this project? Let me know in the comments below! Til next time happy crafting!