Hi friends! Today I have a review of Schmincke Akademie watercolor. They are student grade paint made in Germany. They are hard to find in America (Thank you Dave in Munich for sending these to me for review) but can be purchased affordably in Europe. I have had many requests to review these paints so here goes….
Schmincke Akademie is a student grade watercolor that can be found in 24 colors. I am reviewing the 12 color set.
- Price: Around $25-$40 where available, about half the price of Schmincke’s artist grade Horadam colors
- Paints uses the same tried and true pigments you expect from quality paint.
- Nice lightfastness.
- Clean vibrant colors
- Good mixing ability
- Glazes well (2 layers)
- The tin these came in had raw edges that were sharp as opposed to rolled edges found in most paint tins, not suitable for children.
- I found the colors to wear down quickly, after a couple small paintings I had noticeable “wells” in the paint pans.
- If applied thickly or in too many layers it will tend to streak or dry with glossy spots. *a common trait with student paints, par for the course.
These are a lovely student grade set on par with Cotman, Grumbacher Academy and Van Gogh just be aware that the 12 pan tin might be sharp. I have seen this set packaged in a tin holding 24 colors (room for 12 more) so that might be a better idea for a child or clumsy adult (like me LOL!) I hope you found this review useful and til next time happy crafting!