Hi friends! I had a lot of fun designing this acrylic painting project for you. I thought it would be sweet to paint these motifs on a paper mache mailbox that my friend Kathy gave me last year but you can paint it on any surface you like such as a canvas, slate, cigar box or even a greeting card. Here is what the finished project will look like:
You can download my free printable template here. I just realized that my scanner can scan something as a PDF so it will print out the correct size for you and hopefully be easier for you to print than a snapshot of a sketch. Today’s video includes step by step instructions for painting this “Letters to Santa” mailbox. Watch the video to see how!
You can win this bundle of brushes, or any set of your choice from our sponsor FABART! Just let me know in the comments if you want to win the brushes I used or another set from the store. Also you can save 20% on ANY of the brushes or interchangeable knitting needles in the FABART store too by using coupon code: KZCPG9ZE (Amazon Prime members get free 2 day shipping!) This is a great discount for buying holiday gifts or restocking your own brushes!
- Kids Jumbo & Tri-Grip brushes from Fabart
- Acrylic paint
- Paper Mache mailbox or surface of your choice
- Old clean art dedicated toothbrush
- Satin varnish or sealer (optional)
Skill level: Beginner
Time Needed: 1-2 hours
Skills learned: color mixing, brush strokes, brush care
1. Base coat mailbox and let dry.
2. Cut apart the printable pattern and rub the back with a light-colored chalk. Place the image chalk side down on your surface and trace. This will transfer your design.
3. Using the chalk likes as a guide, paint your image.
4. Paint Santa’s Address on the flag side of the mailbox.
5. Freehand a candy cane stripe on the flag and lip of the front of the box.
6. Load a toothbrush with watery white paint and spatter it all over the mailbox if desired.
7. To protect the paint for years and years follow-up with your favorite water based sealer.
I hope you enjoyed this project and if you know anyone else who would like it please send them my way or share this project using one of the handy social media buttons at the end of this post. Don’t forget to comment for a chance to win a set of brushes or knitting needles, I will draw a name at random in one week! If you plan on ordering these brushes or anything else from the Fabart store be sure to use the coupon KZCPG9ZE for 20% off and the interchangeable brushes are back in stock! Thanks for stopping by and til next time happy crafting!