Hi friends! Thanks for encouraging me to post this long tutorial, it was one of the photos I took at the common ground fair last week. It was really fun to paint!
Here is the reference photo:
And here is the video! Get comfy, make a hot cup of tea or pour a glass of wine and let’s paint!
8″x10″ DaVinci Pro Panel
Turner Arcryl Gouache (or the acrylic colors you prefer)
12 Shades of Gray Acrylic Set (or you can mix your grays)
Black Swan Brushes
Hog fan brushes
Watercolor pencils (any brand is fine)
palate and water bucket
1. Sketch the sheep on the panel with watercolor pencils.
2. Paint the background shades of green (mixes of green, cobalt blue, burnt sienna, lemon yellow) and let dry. Try not to cover your sketch as much as I did to save time later!
3. Start painting the sheep using a small filbert and tapping strokes. Start with white in the highlight area and pick up gray and add it is as you move to the shadowed areas.
4. Add details with a mix of black and greyed brown.
5. Use a combination of fan brushes and yellow-green paint to paint the foreground grass and then add detail grass with a liner brush.
I hope you spend some time painting this weekend! BTW, if you hear the gentle sounds of rain in the video it is because I filmed it Wednesday and we got 5″ of rain LOL! I am lucky I wasn’t swimming in my basement studio! Thanks to Jerry’s Artarama for sponsoring this video, that to you for stopping by and til next time happy crafting!