Hi friends! During a recent trip to the craft store I spied some overpriced plain burlap canvases that you can buy and alter. I also saw some even more expensive burlap canvases that were slightly decorated. That gave me an idea! Make my own just the way I want for way less! It was so easy using supplies from Papermart and some basics from my craft room!
The other benefit to making it yourself is that you can stencil the burlap while it is flat which is much easier than trying to stencil it once it is stretched on a frame. The method for stretching the burlap is the same for stretching a canvas so if you ever wanted to make your own artist’s canvas you will know how to do that too! Are you excited to try this? Watch the video and see how it’s done!
- wooden frame or stretcher bars
- staple gun & staples
- burlap fabric
- stencil brushes and sponge brushes
- acrylic paint
- assorted trims: lace, patterned measuring tape ribbon, jute cord
- embellishments like silk flowers and buttons
- hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Cut fabric 2″ larger than frame on all sides and stencil on design. Let dry.
- Lay the fabric face down on the table and center the frame on top. Pull the burlap up and staple the fabric to the back of the frame.
- Use hot glue to add trims and embellishments.
- Attach a cord for hanging.
These wall hangings would be a lovely gift especially with the recipients last name stenciled on it. Make sure to visit Papermart to find the supplies I used here as well as other holiday craft, party and packaging supplies! Thanks for stopping by and til next time happy crafting!