Hi Friends! The other night my husband asked me if I could whip up a plant hanger for our thriving spider plant. We have a large bay window in our living room that is covered with happy plants (well, they are all happy except the orchid-the only plant I am responsible for- which lives in constant fear) and we have run out of room on the windowsill. I never learned the art of macrame and I am quite lazy so I decided to come up with a quick technique for making a plant hanger that only takes about 10 minutes. Watch the video to see how.
- Begin by cutting three 6 foot pieces of brown cord and three 6 foot pieces of green cord. Bundle the cord lengths together and tie a knot in the middle so you end up with twelve 3 foot long ends. (*note, if you want a hanger with a tassel on the bottom cut the cords in half to 3 foot lengths and tie all of the cords together 3″ from the end in an overhand knot.)
- Divide the cored in groups of 3 and braid those strands together for 3″. Place your plant pot on top and divide the strands and knot between the braids. Repeat this technique until you have made a net around the pot.
- Gather the cords and divide in half and tie together over the pot.
- If desired wrap above the knot with floral wire.
- Now you can cut off the extra cording over the wire and if you have enough left tie 4 strands together with an overhand knot to make a hanging loop. If you do not have enough cord left for a loop simply trim it all neatly above the wire and add a string or ribbon under the main knot for hanging.
Then you can hang that plant with pride! Here is something else to feel good about, spider plants are excellent for cleaning the air, they even sent them up in the space shuttle to keep the air clean and fresh. If it’s good enough for NASA it’s good enough for me!
I hope you enjoyed this blast from the past, yet very useful, project and til next time happy crafting!
Filed under: home decor Tagged: | DIY plant hanger, easy plant hanger, home decor project, houseplant ideas, how to make a plant hanger, macrame plant hanger tutorial, papermart, plant hanger, rope plant hanger, spider plant, spider plants