Howdy Friends! Today I have a craft for the kids to do using recycled materials to make something really useful:
For this project you will need:
think cardboard (like a cereal box)
Something round to trace like a plate
Watch the video to see how easy it is to make a rolled newspaper basket:
Tip! If you want to make this project with a bunch of children you can use hot glue and make the basket bases (the cardboard with the spokes) ahead of time! Here is a recap of the steps:
- Cut the newspaper pages in half.
- Roll the newspaper using a pencil as a guide and secure the ends with glue.
- Trace a plate on cardboard 2 times and cut out.
- Glue an odd number or rolled newspaper “spokes” to the cardboard. Add the other cardboard piece on top and place a book on top to weigh it down as it dries OR have an adult hot glue it for you.
- Weave the remaining newspaper tubes around the spokes. Use a bit of white clue each time you add a new newspaper and clip it with a clothespin to hold it in place as it dries.
- Finish your basket by painting it with acrylic paint, spray paint or just seal it with a layer of glue or Mod-Podge.
Bonus ideas! You can use wrapping paper, magazines and comics to make really cool looking baskets! You can easily make a square, rectangle or heart shaped basket using the same technique, just cut your cardboard in the shape you would like your basket. Bold shapes with few details are best!
Parents & Teachers: If you try this project with your kids please let me know how it turns out. If you have any questions just leave a comment and I will get back to you! Happy crafting!